How much chemistry in bread?
For a large part of Poles, bread is just bread. People who are more interested in healthy eating try to choose bread obtained from untreated flour. Unfortunately, it is not always the dark color of the bread or the wholemeal or wholegrain addition is an exponent of the quality of the product. You need to carefully inspect the label and choose those types of bread that are devoid of controversial additives. In this guide, I will present a list of ingredients that should not be included in good bread.
The recipe for good-quality bread is simple and banal flour, water, sourdough and salt should exhaust the list of ingredients. A horse with a row of people who will find bread on the shelf in the supermarket … Bread producers have been fond of various items for a while, most of which are at least controversial. While the rush of bran, poppy and oat fiber does not raise concerns, emulsifiers, acidity regulators or especially preservatives do not speak in favor of the product. Careful inspection of labels is therefore of the utmost importance when choosing a good quality bread.
For lovers of stronger experiences, I suggest visiting the first better store and taking a pack of toast bread, which is the most eminent example of how complicated the recipe of market bread can be. In addition to ingredients such as wheat flour, water, yeast, salt, the list sometimes includes even a dozen or so items, most of which are marked with the symbols beginning with E. This e-numerology can be deciphered, which we will do soon. Below is a list of the most frequently added, and not always dangerous, but sometimes suspicious additions
– E220 – sulfur dioxide – a strong preservative that inhibits mold growth. It lowers the content of B2 vitamins in food products. People with asthma may exacerbate the symptoms of the disease. Acid-forming. In high concentrations it can cause functional disorders of the digestive system.
– E280 and E281 – propionic acid and sodium propionate – inhibit the growth of mold, yeast and so-called potato cot. Both propionic acid and its sodium salt are quite well tolerated and do not pose a threat to our health.
– E262 – sodium acetate – extends the freshness of bread, is safe.
– E300 – L-ascorbic acid, or vitamin C. Nobody needs to be presented. Antioxidant, which is not dangerous in itself, but makes the final product looks much better than the quality and quantity of the base components used would indicate …
– E330 – citric acid – acidity regulator, safe.
– E339 – sodium phosphates – acidity regulators and chelating agents. They prevent the bread from drying out. Their disadvantage is the negative effect on the acid-base balance and the calcium balance of the body.
– E920 – L-cysteine (E920) – ingredient of the so-called improvers that make the dough have a better consistency. L-cysteine alone is not dangerous for health, it is even a component of dietary supplements with pro-health effects. However, it is added to bread not as an enriching substance, but due to the fact that it makes it look better
You can read also: Easy banana breadPosted on: January 31, 2019