Body composition analysis
Weight control usually consists of a weighing and calculation of BMI. Meanwhile, the weight does not always reflect the progress in the fight against excess body fat. On the basis of a body weight and BMI are often drawn wrong conclusions. As a result of workouts it may be an increase of a muscle tissue, which will cause that the weight will show higher score, despite the reduction of body fat. Therefore, a better source of knowledge about the effects of diet and training is the study defined as a body composition analysis.
The body composition analysis provides information about the content of fat in the body, as well as a lean body mass, so muscles, bones and water. A metabolic age is getting defined and the degree of organs fatness. Contrary to appearances, this testing is not complicated nor time consuming. A person taking part in the analysis stands on weighing machine , which is equipped with electrodes, releasing an electric signal of low intensity. This signal is transported by the water contained in the muscle tissue of the body, and it is resisted by the water-lean adipose tissue. It is this resistance which allows to specify the composition of the body. The body composition analysis are taken at least two hours after a meal. The person being tested should be barefoot and wears no outer garments. During twelve hours before measurement you should refrain from doing intensive workout. The analysis is safe, so it can be done in the case of almost every adult man. Exceptions are patients with epilepsy, people with heart pacemakers and pregnant women. The study is recommended to, in particular, athletes and people who care about a healthy lifestyle and are seeking to reduce body fat.
It is worth to take a closer look at the parameters obtained thanks to the body composition analysis:
- The content of fat tissue – is particularly important for those people looking to reduce body weight. It allows to arrange an optimal diet and training plan. In the case of women, fat content should be from 16% to 20%, while in men case from 15% to 18%.
- Muscle mass – it provides knowledge about what percentage composition of the body are muscles, which is heavier than the fat tissue. There is no generally accepted standards, because the content of muscle mass should be adjusted to the degree of physical activity
- The percentage of water – it presents the total body water content, which declines with an increase of body fat. It is assumed that there should be between 45% to 60% water in the body, regardless of sex, although in the case of men usually it is a little more, because of the higher content of the muscle tissue. Maintaining the correct water level in the body is essential for its proper functioning, so in the event of any deficiency you should take care of hydration.
- The content of bone mass – it provides knowledge on the state of the skeleton. According to studies results, there is a link between the development of the muscle tissue and strengthening bones. Understatement of the bone mass is a highly undesirable phenomenon.
- The degree of organs fatness – its term is especially important for people with overweight and obesity. With the increase of the body organs fatness increases the risk of hypertension, type II diabetes and cholesterol increase. The correct degree of the fatness is from 1 to 12.
- Metabolic age – it usually does not coincide with the actual age. If it is overestimated, the it is a sign that it’s time to take care of increasing the rate of metabolism. Low metabolic age is a good sign, but you can not focus solely on it, ignoring the fact that the other parameters are not satisfactory. On basis of the metabolic age and the content of the bone mass a basic metabolic rate is calculated.
The body composition analysis allows to plan a diet wihich is very well adapted to the individual needs of each person. This study also allows you to assess the effects which bring diet and sports training. If the results are not satisfactory, then you can make necessary changes, to make it easier to achieve desired results. The analysis can be performed mainly in diet offices, as well as many fitness clubs.